{Go confidently in the direction of your dreams }

Friday 9 January 2009

Old Postcards






I love browsing in charity shops! Kevin looks at books, because he obviously hasn't got enough to read (about 40 waiting!!) but I look for old buttons and postcards. I found this one in Oxfam in Stafford, and it has really captured my imagination. I love how a postcard gives you a snippet of someones life, and when the postcards are maybe 100 years old, it also tells you something about social history. This postcard from 1911 identifies one of the puppies by a x. Else says "My darling Walley, doesn't the puppy marked look like mine? Which one would you like? Don't forget me will you? from loving Else." Well I want to know what happened! Did Else ever see her beau again? Did Walley survive the forthcoming 1st world war? I've made up my own story about it all! What a drama. These old documents inspire me. I'm making a piece to celebrate the lives of Else and Walley, in their honour.

No comments: