{Go confidently in the direction of your dreams }

Thursday 5 March 2009

100th Post!




I can't believe I've made 100. I should celebrate or something. Anyhow, I promised to tell you what I have been creating. This is a picture I created around the photo which is of my Grandmothers brother, George Johnson. He was a wonderful man who I remember well. so I wanted to make something to remember him by.I tried to have lots of depth in this picture, so I embellished the frame. The key is made from beeswax believe it or not! I melted the wax in a melt pot and poured it into a mould. I coloured it with brown and grey paint and highlighted with silver metalic cream. I printed the photo onto t-shirt transfer paper and ironed it on to canvas and frayed the edges a little.
The book was fun to make. I made the cover with dotty grungeboard. It's great to work with, very strong and flexible, so I was able to make a strap out of the same stuff to use as a strap closure. I fixed a magnetic popper so it shuts really well. Love the 'click' as it shuts! I painted the grungeboard white after cutting out the shape, rounded the corners, glued the strap on the back, and then gave it a coat of pink acrylic on the top. I then sanded the dots to reveal some of the white undercoat, and used a distress ink to highlight the dots. I covered the popper with a button using a glued dot and used a rub on 'eat cake' to decorate it. I am a bit obsessed with cake at the moment- I'm trying to lose some weight:) I folded some pink and green papers and stitched them through the spine of the book. I'm not sure what to put in it yet, maybe some thin pictures of me for inspiration, along with some quotes. We'll see! I will bring the picture and the book to the next crop.

No comments: